Entry #1

KanyeInterruptedMe


To start with, obviously, my name isn't 'KanyeInterruptedMe'.
Nor is it Kim. 
No, I'm an anonymous writer hiding behind the safety and security of a pseudonym, living what some might say is a double life.
I'm petrified of being found out. Writing isn't embarrassing, but baring my soul can be, and that is what writing is for me: Letting people see what goes on in my mind.
I have a fairly good idea of what my lovely old parents would think about the things I write, but that's beside the point.

I live in a country called South Africa (home of Trevor Noah, Nelson Mandela, the vuvuzela, Black Coffee, and boerwors). I began my Wattpad journey in 2011, shortly after high school, when a friend recommended it to me. I wish I could say we were talking like normal teenagers about our love of books and writing, and Wattpad's name came up, but that's not exactly how it happened. Yes, we bonded over books, but the only reason I was even at her place that weekend was because my family and I had just been evicted from our apartment. My dad had lost his job and hadn't been paying rent, and the little my mother made went to bills, groceries, school tuition and other very important things. She hadn't been that successful job-wise, but she did what she could.

Anyway, we were pretty much squatting at my friend (let's call her Sarah)'s house with her family. It was awful. They weren't bad people (of course they weren't, they let another family come to live with them) but they obviously didn't understand the situation. My father is quite educated. Very educated, actually. He's in the medical field, and he's been in the medical field for about forty years now. So how could he be out of work and let things get this bad? It wasn't our first eviction, and fast forward a couple more years, it wasn't going to be our last.

I'm going slightly off topic and it's making me a little bit tearful writing this because I've never ever written all of this down, or told anyone but my current boyfriend. It's making me just a bit afraid that there might be thousands of people who might read this, but I wanted to share my story because I want you guys to understand that writing really did save me. It really did. 

But anyway. Sarah recommended Wattpad to me and I got onto my phone and looked it up. I was instantly hooked. Kids my age and younger were writing and uploading their stories. I had a whole bunch of them written on my mother's laptop that nobody had ever read and I had to debate with myself if I should ever upload them (scary!). I started off writing sci-fi and horror stories, short ones, that were completely cringeworthy. Weak plots, cliche characters, bad dialogue - you name it, my stories had it. But they were my stories, my ideas. After a long time, I decided to share them.

And then I discovered romance.

What a time to be alive!

We were bouncing up and down between family friends' houses but through that time, I had Wattpad to keep me company. I spent my coins at internet cafes just so I could upload chapters when I got the chance, and at some point, I found myself working at 17 at a law firm as a PA to the senior partner. That meant two words: free internet. Most of my day was spent at the computer anyway so that was when I would find time to write and upload, write and upload. I had nothing much to look forward to than when I was writing at that computer. 

One of my first ever books was a completely cringeworthy, infantile, unrealistic book that some of you might know as Sexing the Sexy Spanish Stepdad (yay for alliteration). I didn't expect it to get so popular, but there you go. It did. With over twenty chapters averaging 700 words per chapter, it brought a lot of my earlier readers to my profile. Looking back, I'm not sure why it was so popular, but I am grateful that I wrote it. I've grown since then.

Fast forward over a couple more years to when I moved countries for school. When I say Wattpad saved me, Wattpad freaking saved me. I was in college studying something I didn't want to study, just because it was what we could afford, and I got contracted for a job by Wattpad. Do you know why I'm grateful for all of you? Because without you, I would never have been picked for that opportunity. Without you reading, commenting and voting on my stories, I would never have been on anyone's radar. It's because of all of you that I got to go to university to pursue my dream and that I am here now.

I have never asked my parents for a cent since I finished high school. I'm 25 now. I have tried to support myself (and sometimes my family) as best as I could. I'm proud of where I am now, but it gets so hard. There were moments in my life when I felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders. When I thought about taking my life. I've been an adult long before I hit 18 and I've seen and done things no child shouldn't have. 

My reality now is that everything feels like it's falling apart. It's felt that way for a while. Over a year ago, I lost my baby and it was my fault. But I have the most amazing boyfriend who has been with me going onto two years now. I didn't have a laptop or phone for a period of time (I got both sorted out only recently thanks to the kindness of people I know) and I was struggling to write or do my assignments. My dad was forcefully retired last year. 'Forcefully' because he wanted and needed his job to provide for my two siblings, but because he hit the legal age of retirement back home (which is 65), he had no choice. My family is being evicted soon. They're in arrears with the bills because they couldn't pay them off. In the two or so years that I've been away, everything has fallen apart. I feel useless because they are on one continent and I'm on another. I've been working so hard to support myself and it's honestly like nothing I do pays off. I don't think I'm going to go to school this semester, nor are either of my siblings.

I don't want to bore you with these details. I'm not a negative person. Offline, people would be shocked to find out that this is what has been going on in my life. I don't believe in bringing people down with my shit and I always try to deal with my problems myself. It hurts to write all this down and I spent an entire day wondering if I should even post it. This is personal, the most personal post I have ever written in my life, and I wanted to share it with you guys.

If someone asks me, "Are you okay?", my answers is always, always "YES!" But I'm not. I'm not okay. My brain never shuts down worrying and thinking. I've cried myself to sleep more times than I can count. Life has its ups and downs. I know that. I also know that I'm not the only person going through a thunderstorm. I know that. But I'm tired. 

Please check on your friends, even the ones who always tell you that they're okay. They might be lying. Or they just might not want to bother you with their problems. I feel alone sometimes and I need to be alone sometimes but surrounding myself with friends always makes me happy, even if they don't know what's going on. You never know how you might be brightening someone else's day. 

I want to thank everyone who has reached out to me via whatever platform. I'm sorry I haven't been able to get back to you in time. I appreciate your concern and your prayers and your thoughts. I love you guys and I want to start updating again. I just need to sort out my life first.  

(Please ignore any errors. This isn't proofread.)

-KanyeInterruptedMe


Comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear all this. But everything will get better soon. One day or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I can somehow reach you through the screen and give you a hug. It was difficult reading this because I mostly associate you as optimistic due to your stories, and reading how lost you feel was intense. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. It just means you’re human. The fact that you were able to open up and be raw with your emotions and tells us what’s happening in your life was incredibly brave. You have my support for whatever it’s worth. I hope for the best and that everything sorts itself out. You have supporters from all over the world, so keep striving, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. I have just been sitting for five minutes and wondering what I should tell you. I know this might not help you but I'm truly really sorry for what you are going through and I hope that it all works out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really touched me. I am so sorry that you went through all of that. And trust me i know that sorry is just a word. I really do understand your love for writing and using it as an escape. I write alot too i just never post any on Wattpad. I just use reading as an escape from reality for as long as i can. You are truly strong. You may not think so but trust me it is extremely hard to open up to people and share your story. But all i have to say is just trust in God and he will make a way for you and your family. Much love~Denicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just hope you've realized how strong you are. I cried while reading this. I'm so happy you've shared this just for persons out there who are going through similar situations to know that they are not alone. I hope if things ever become too difficult for you you'll reach out to somebody even if it's just for them to provide you with a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on. I hope everything works out, and they will but until then just keep strong Kim and know that we love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can be scary, the business of admitting to others we’re not invincible. Try taking the leap in any small ways you can think of, I really think it can make a really lonely and overwhelming place feel a little bit more manageable.

    This post was really brave and it made me cry. The way you describe writing is similar to the way I devoured your books. You have a real talent for writing books with female characters who feel both fun and real (I wish I could say that the male ones have seemed realistic in my experience:p). I just wanted to reach out to say that I’m here and I’m listening.

    Take time to focus on and enjoy the little things in life. Be kind to you, you’re doing all you can!

    Lauren



    ReplyDelete
  7. i really just want to comfort you right now. im sorry you have to go through all this, thank you foor being so honest, im going to be praying for you. i hope your situation and that of you family takes a turn for the better. i know we dont know each other but just know that i am here, stay strong okay,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim you’re such a trooper and amazingly brave. I can’t even begin to imagine what you’re going through. I truly hope everything works out for you and your family in the end.

    Warm regards,

    Giana

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very brave what you are doing and I applaud you for it, for showing us that there is no weakness in admitting when you have reached your limit or that you are not okay. I'm very saddened to hear all of this. I think that we all go through shitty things, we are all fighting battles that seem impossible to win at times. I for one is one of those people who keeps telling everyone that I'm fine when I'm anything but. Just remember that God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished reading, I'm so sorry this has been happening to you and your family. I wished I could hug you. Me and my family have been evicted before, its so humiliating and painful. The struggle to pay bills and take care of your family is so stressful. Sending lots of love!!!!๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’ž

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know life is difficult to deal with n even I know that me saying won't help much but always remember a will to live is the greatest thing u can ever have n by reading ur experience I felt that n I know u vil fight back . Hope everything gets better .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know life is difficult to deal with n even I know that me saying won't help much but always remember a will to live is the greatest thing u can ever have n by reading ur experience I felt that n I know u vil fight back . Hope everything gets better .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry your family has been going through this. I can't begin to imagine how it feels but I hope you never give up. It's brave of you to step up to tell us about it and I hope you've vented a bit of your frustrations, keeping them bottled up won't help you at all. I'll make sure I put you in my prayers just remember we are always hear for you. We'll be your comfort pillows, your shoulders to cry on, your tissues and whatever you need because we are your dearest fans and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry for you, your family and all had happens in your life.
    I'm your fan. The two best books that I read in Wattpad were written by you (The client,
    and The Handmen).
    I'll pray for you, for your Family and for your life.
    Bless vou.๐Ÿ˜˜

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went through a similar period of time. I always told everyone I was fine or just tired. In reality, I couldn’t find any reason that I deserved to keep living. I cried myself to sleep every single night, got behind on my bills and had to go to my mother to help sort everything financially. I decided I couldn’t keep living that way, so I decided to start seeing a therapist just to talk everything out to someone who had no obligation to feel sad for me or to make me feel better about myself. Life gets you down, and then keeps kicking. You will survive, you are strong, you will heal. Take your time, we all love you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're really fucking strong mentally and emotionally. I pray that the weights upon your shoulders lighten. Just remember that for a glow stick to shine it has to break.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl! You got me crying over here. Honestly I never know what to say at times like this, I'll just let you know I'm praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I can hug you now and cry . I’m absolutely in my breakdown . It’s hard and hurt a lots . Its tiring and sometimes we wanna stop the clock from ticking and stand still let all things pass by . Know that I’m as your reader , fan , friend too is here with you . Lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't worry babe . Do u still remember this? "Things get worse so that u can really appreciate when they get better" This one saying is very powerful and meaningful �� So, u ll get better. It s just a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Praying that there will be a breakthrough through you and your family problems . ❤❤ I hope everything will work out in your favor soon

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Kim, we might be strangers from across the continent ,I'm from Kenya btw ,but reading what you just shared with us just shows how strong you really are .As your readers we really appreciate and love you and I hope and pray that this bump no matter how big it is will come to pass right now it may seem endless but nothing lasts forever . I just want to tell you that even though we are far apart my love and prayers will always be with you ๐Ÿ’–

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kim. I was very surprised to hear this but you should know that your books helped escape a reality that I wasn't coping with. I am from Zambia and when I found out that you were African, I felt better - somehow but I can't explain. Apart from series like Got and the CW trilogy of the vampires, your books make me smile and I always reread if I need an escape. Your story is touching and you will be in my prayers.
    God bless you Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Kim, you can't imagine how happy I am to hear from you. Thank you for sharing something this personal with us. I hope that writing down what you feel helped you even if it's just a little. I'm sorry about what happened to you and I hope that the futur will bring more light in your life. I get what you mean when you say that you always say that your okay when you're not, because I do the same. When I'm down, I tell myself that things will be better one day, I spend my life hoping for that and that's what keep me alive. I know this is easier said than done (trust me, I know) but don't give up and keep hoping that in the end happiness will find you.
    You know, you said that Wattpad saved you. That's funny because your stories contributed in saving me when I was at my lowest point. It made me smile when I thought it wasn't possible anymore.
    Anyway, know that you help people through your writings.
    I'll always support you and I hope that your future will be bright.
    Love ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  24. Things will surely get better hon. Just hang in there and believe just like the heroines in your books which I've inspired me a lot. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  25. Omg I'm so glad you shared with us a piece of your life. It means a lot to me to see someone open up to other people. I would if never thought this was going on in ur life. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Girl, you have people behind you. People who support and will continue to support. You not only speak words from the heart, but you speak words that touches the heart. This thing gong on with you is just a bump on the road darling, better, even greater things are ahead. Please know that you have fans, some turned friends that support and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just know that you have thousands of people out here that love and support you. God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers.๐Ÿ’™

    ReplyDelete
  28. Don't lose hope. We have a God bigger than all our trials. You just have to have faith in Him. He will provide for all your needs. You just have to pray and ask Him for help. Like I do. God bless you and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Kim I honestly don't know where to begin. You are an amazing person and even more so that you chose us to open up to. I am humbled that I am one of those you felt free to open up to. If my arms were long enough I'd reach out and give you a hug. I pray that you will be fine. I pray for your inner healing and hope that everything is just going to be okay. Mya God give you so much strength. Sending you lots of love ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kim, thank you so much for sharing!Continue to stay strong because a break through is sure to come your way.Take as much time as you need to take care of yourself first, we can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  31. ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  32. Please take care of yourself ma'am! I don't even think you'll read this but I want to wish you all the best. Updating isn't what you should be worried about, just take care of yourself and your family. You are a brilliant writer but most importantly, a very awesome human being. We all go through ups and downs in our lives but you are definitely dealing with a lot. I hope everything works out for you. ❤ I wish you the best and I will pray for you. I don't mean to talk about myself but recently, I have been going through depression and was just this close to taking my own life when I realized that some people out there are actually struggling to survive meanwhile I am committing an act of cowardice that would only leave my old, hardworking parents shattered. Only my friend knows that I tried killing myself and I don't even know how to seek help for myself. It is hard but your books, wattpad, this message, the fact that we are all beautiful creatures that walk on this earth and I am not the only person in this entire universe reminded me of the fact that life is worth living. I am so sorry that you lost your child. That is one of the worst pains a human can go through, and it wasn't your fault! ❤ Don't beat yourself up so much, darling. I hope you can sort things out and find all the happiness that your rightfully deserve. I love you. We all love you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are a brave woman Kim! I salute you for overcoming those "hard obstacles" in life and learning how to pull through it. Please continue to stay strong for you and your family. Everybody has a "story" ... life is never easy. Take Care Kim and God Bless you! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  34. It never ceases to stun me how little you may actually know about somebody and what goes on in their daily life! I mean you have all these assumptions and forget that others can struggle tremendously too because such is life! I'm really glad you shared a little about yourself and your situation and I really hope/pray that things turn around for you this year! You're genuinely one of my favourite wattpad authors and my list of favourites is very few and I hope you atleast take pride in the fact that your stories are so thoroughly enjoyed because you did that!! I hope this year brings you everything you need to start piecing your life together and start doing what you so clearly love again. Until then I will be here(as I'm sure many other fans will be too) supporting your work in any way possible ๐Ÿคง❤

    ReplyDelete
  35. I don’t even know what to write. I have never been in your shoes so I’m not going to pretend to know what it’s like. But I will support you in anything and everything you do. I will continue to pray for you (because I truly have many times over the years). You have many readers that care deeply for you and want you to be happy. We are here for you. So feel free to vent and tell us what you need to get off your chest. You’ll find no judgement from us, only love.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I discovered your books a couple of years ago and I have been hooked ever since. I know there is nothing I can say to make you feel better but just know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I have seen some hard times myself and all I know is: NOTHING LASTS FOREVER. NOT EVEN OUR PROBLEMS.
    Just hold on! <3

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just wish you strength, Kim, and happiness! A friend of mine recommended Wattpad to me as well and I soon discovered your books. They made me laugh and cry and I just felt with the characters. They become alive because you put your emotions in your writing. I thank you for writing and updating when you clearly had (and have) such a tough time. Cause every time I got the message of a new chapter I was happy to read it. And concerning your baby: trust me you'll have another chance! Its great that you have your boyfriend supporting you, but know that you have my support as well (I can only speak for myself but judging from the other comments I know I'm not the only one supporting you). I feel with you and I wish for you and your family to have a fulfilling life! Please know that you are loved! <3

    ReplyDelete
  38. Stay strong Kim!! ItsI never over until it's over

    ReplyDelete
  39. Chin up! Things will get better! Have faith. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Kim, I'm sorry for all the things you've had to go through and I do understand because I've been in a similar place. Believe me when I say, once you've reached bottom the only place to go is up and soon all your efforts will pay. I don't know what religion you are or if you are but God is with you. Just believe and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have been wondering about you and left a few messages months and months ago, but I too have had to step away from Wattpad. I am sorry to hear of your troubles. But as you said life is hard and people hide things. I am glad you're doing better. And I know it will get better. It has for me so far.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Believe me GOD is your solution...stay strong,nothing is your fault,its just your journey and story,you'll get better some day,and be okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I know I personally love you and your writing. I am so happy your book got published because you are so talented. I am sorry about your miscarriage. There is something that surpasses sadness whenever a child passes away before the parent. Thank you for posting what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I hope you get better hun! Take all the time you need! ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿงก๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi honey :) So, I have a million and one things I want to say to you... ๐Ÿ˜‰

    1) God loves you! It's as simple as that. You already know this, but speaking from personally experience, when you feel like you've failed in His eyes, it's so hard to believe it, even if you know it to be true. It is ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’‹ You are sooooooooo loved by Him that even if you were the only person to have messed up on the planet, Christ still would have died for you and God would still forgive you because you are worth it in their eyes.

    2) We love you! I am amazed at how a young writer on a free platform has mobilized such a powerful army of supporters AND has such a strong command on writing. You have a gift and I wholeheartedly believe you are meant to be a wordsmith. But as much as we love "Kim" the writer, we also love "Kim" the person ๐Ÿ’‹ Not the pseudonym, but the girl who is broken right now. We want to encourage you, lift you up, pray for you, and cheer you on to recovery. Whatever it is you need from us, let us know ๐Ÿ˜˜ Don't worry about story updates. Let us lift YOU up.

    3) There are many of us who would gladly support you as a paid writer ๐Ÿ’– If you want to publish many of your stories on Amazon, Apple Books, Nook, etc., you WILL have a group who will put our money where our mouths are and buy your books in print and e-book formats ☺ You have brought a lot of joy to us and we would be glad to return it. I, for one, would be more than happy to not only purchase your books, but would also share and review these awesome stories on my book blog and social media channels. And I know I'm not alone. You say the word and we will mobilize. Need help with formatting or editing? We will help. Need help with social media takeover or book covers? We will help. Just say the word, honey ๐Ÿ˜˜ Talent like yours needs to be rewarded handsomely. If it will lift some of the financial burden off your shoulders and of your family's, please please please let us be there for you and help you shoulder those boulders a little bit ๐Ÿ’–

    4) I know you are a Christian, so from one Christian to another, do not let anyone make you feel like stumbling makes you irredeemable. You are human. You have made mistakes. You have been dealt some tough hands in life. And you will survive this. There's a saying that God won't give you more than you can handle. That's ridiculous. If He only allowed what we ARE capable of handling in our lives, why would we even need Him? We all face God-sized problems and it's because we are not meant to shoulder them alone or without His strength. So, I am praying for a few things for you right now: for comfort and easing of your suffering, for strength, for the right people and resources to enter your life to help you in all the ways you need it, for peace to flood your mind, body, heart, and soul, for restful sleep, and for wisdom of how to continue on from this moment into the next part of your life.

    I wish I could give you a hug in reality, but please know I am sending a bunch of warm, comforting hugs to South Africa for you and your family. If I or any of us can do anything for you, just say the word, sugar ๐Ÿ˜˜

    ReplyDelete
  46. Just reading these paragraphs explains what kind of strong person you are. You're absolutely amazing, hardworking, talented and kind. I just want to you know that you're doing absolutely AMAZING. Any negative thing that happened around you isn't your "fault". Give yourself time and be kind to yourself because I ASSURE you, it will be okay. Things won't be like this for long, I believe in you and you're absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Behind every remarkable author lies a gripping story ❤️ Couldn’t be any truer. Love it how you found an escape within which you created an escape for others.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I pray everything is going better for you guys. I just wanted to let you know I found your books on Wattpad years ago and I think you are a great writer and just wish you could publish your stories to make extra money that way because they are awesome stories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entry #2